After four years at the helm of the Furniture Industry Research Association (FIRA) as chairman, Charles Vernon has announced he will be stepping down in September 2020.
After initially intending to lead the association for two years, Vernon extended his tenure for a further two years.
FIRA is now taking applications for a successor to Vernon in the voluntary role.
The closing date for submitting interest in the chairman’s role is Saturday, 29th February, with interviews and confirmation of appointment taking place during the spring.
The new chairman would then be invited to the Research Association’s June Council meeting, and would be officially appointed Chairman at an Annual General Meeting being held on Thursday, 10th September.
Commitment to the role will include chairing four council meetings a year (January, March, June and December). At these meetings all matters concerning FIRA are discussed and decisions taken on matters including projects, budgets, strategy and the work of the service provider to the Research Association, FIRA International.
The chairman is supported by Phil Reynolds, chief operating officer, and the wider council, which comprises:
· Brian Ahern, British Furniture Manufacturers (BFM)
· Jessica Alexander, National Bed Federation
· Anne Barber, In Heaven at Home
· Alan Bennett, co-opted member
· Paul Critchley, Sainsbury’s Argos
· Andy Green, co-opted member
· Jonathan Hindle, KI Group
· Rodney McMahon, Morgan Contract Furniture Ltd
· Rob Jones, ScS
· Nigel Punshon, Hille Educational Products
· Mark Richardson, Blum UK Ltd
· Andrew Story, Moores Furniture Group
The successful applicant will have had experience in running a business within the furniture/furnishings industry. Anyone who would be interested in learning more about the chairman’s role should contact Phil Reynolds via firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)1438 777 750.